Wednesday, November 08, 2006




One month ago today, a sweet 2 year old girl walked into the civil affairs office in Nanning to become my daughter forever. She wore red shoes that were way too big, which were one of her favorite things to play with. She would independently take them on and off, and often would prefer to keep them on for security. The first smile I saw from her was by the elevators, as we left the room where we were united. Her first words to me were "xiao xin" which means be careful. I won't forget her aim as she could throw objects better than a pitcher for the major leagues. I remember the food strewn under her highchair around the floor after each mealtime. When she saw Nana with her floss or pick, she would run to her with mouth wide open. She generously offered us a bite of each food she ate. I'll never forget how she shrieked in her stroller and turned herself from forward to rear facing, with the strap on! I'll remember how she quieted to "Baa Baa Black Sheep". She pretended to answer the phone by saying "guay", just like people do in China. One of her favorite words to say was Lao Hu. She could gain food from anyone, including vendors off the street. I'll never forget her devouring Nana's ice cream while we walked in Nanning early one evening. I'll remember her soft voice saying "no" and shaking her head when she was asked if she was ready for bed.
In some ways, being in China seems so long ago. How is it that it is only a month? I can't remember my life without her in it.
Lianna Tingting no longer cries to fall asleep. She hasn't done that since day 13 with us. As Katelyn said today "she hasn't screamed since we were in China". She is 20 lbs 9 oz and 32 inches tall. She has started refusing food which she doesn't like, such as animal crackers. She still loves chicken congee. She also loves cake and ice cream. Seeing her sister after she has been in school all day brings the biggest smile. She still calls her jie jie. She now turns to both Lianna and Tingting. She adores Nana, and will walk around our home holding her photos. She has grown fond of a little stuffed monkey, and will say "monkey sit down". She still has a beautiful smile which lights up a room, and smiles so frequently.
So, one month after my family has grown with the addition of little Lianna Tingting I feel so lucky and blessed to have been given these two little girls to call my daughters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home